Monday, June 05, 2006

Presser #3

Maybe the greatness of the word "presser" is starting to wear off, and I need to find another way to title my press conferences. I'll think about it. In the meantime, I have been blogging quite a bit recently so there is no real need for an opening statement. I will open the floor right now.

The "A" From "From 'A' to 'Z': What is the weather like?

Ian: Every day is pretty much the same. Eight-five degrees without a cloud in the sky. At night, it gets down into the 60s.

Until recently, it has been pretty difficult to sleep because of the heat, but my landlord brought me a fan the other day that has allowed me to sleep more peacefully. Before the fan arrived, I would wake up before 8 a.m. simply because of the heat. Now, I wake up with my alarm.

I have worn shorts and a t-shirt every day and the same pair of sandals. Please don't ask about my sandal tan. I am not ready to discuss that.

Blog-addicted Jewish mother: Regarding the club scene in Jerusalem, can you give us your take?

Ian: Actually, I have yet to go to a real "dance" club. So I don't feel that I could provide a good answer to that question.

Blog-addicted Jewish mother's sister: I have a follow up to that. I know how much Israel cherishes its land and can't imagine it using it for this ...pleasure, but I was wondering if you have covered any golf events. I know that you are a golf enthusiast, but wondered what kind of following it has in Eretz Yisrael?

Ian: I know that there is a golf course in Caesarea on the Coast but I have not been up there. It looks like I won't hit the links this summer.

In fact, there is a sumo wrestling tournament in Caesarea tomorrow night that I might attend. Let me ask you how many chances do you get to watch a sumo wrestling match in the Roman Amphitheater? As long as I can find a way there, I plan on attending.

The "A" From "From 'A' to 'Z': Are you working out at all? And whose idea was it to use horse manure to create a marvel of nature?

Ian: I haven't spent any time in the weight room, but I do play basketball at the park, played soccer once, and walk all over town. Plus, I have been doing some pretty rigorous gardening. I compare some of the work in the gardens to working out.

I have always read about how kids who grow up on farms develop strong arms because of the labor and become great pitchers, like Bob Feller. Maybe I can restart my baseball career after doing some intense gardening this summer. On the other hand, I don't see my baseball career going anywhere (I'll stay in school)

Most of the people who I work with in the gardens attend environmental and outdoor classes. I assume that they learned about this technique in one of their classes, but I don't know who first thought: "Oh look, there's some horse manure. Maybe we can mix it with rocks, water, and some natural clay mixture to create a firepit?" Personally, that's not the first thing that I think about when I see horse manure on the ground.

Next question. You with the face paint, national team kit, and good luck charms, and Carlsberg in your hand.

Hooligan: Now Ian, the World Cup is just around the corner. Who do you like? Do you plan on engaging in any hooliganary (sp.? word?)?

Ian: Well, I would have to say, using my formula of "team with the highest ratio of players that are called by just one name" Brazil is the favorite (There is probably a cultural phenomenon that I don't know about because naming someone simply Fred in America wouldn't fly: Dido, Cafu, Cicinho, Cris, Gilberto, Juan, Lucio, Luisao, Edmilson, Emerson, Juninho, Kaka, Ricardinho, Ronaldinho, Adriano, Fred, Robinho, Ronaldo). Plus, they have more talent than anybody else.

At the same time, I think there are about five or six other teams that could challenge for the title. For a World Cup, it is very difficult to bet against the home team. South Korea made the semifinals in 2002, France won it in 1998, and Italy reached the semis in 1990 (The U.S. hosted it in 1994 for those that recall, and the U.S. didn't field a strong team at the time). On six occasions, the host has won. (That was too serious of a breakdown, I apologize)

Then again, how much do I really know about the World Cup? Not very much. Once the ball hits the pitch, you never know what's going to happen. I believe that is what is so great about the World Cup.

Acts of hooliganary aren't things that I normally partake in, but if the U.S. makes it through the second round of the tournament, you better believe that someone's face/body will be painted for the next game (If you look at who the U.S. would face in the third round assuming they finish second in their group, I believe that millions of Americans would become believers in hooliganism [sounds like it should be a religion, so I made it one]). To save you a Google search or two, the answer is Brazil.

Now for a closing comment. I went to the Supreme Court and Israel Museums toady. I hope to be able to blog about them tomorrow, if I have time. If I don't have time, I hope to squeeze them in the sumo wrestling post, but as you know sumo wrestlers (and describing their competitions) take up a lot of space.

1 comment:

Rubes said...

stockton,
when was the last time you used the word pitch? have you been gabbing with blokes from the uk?

one of the things that soccer players are less known for—with the exception of pele, who spells his name g-o-d —are nicknames. i guess it would be difficult to translate/transpose nicknames from one language/culture to another. do you think karl malone is known as the "mailman" in spain? maybe the "cartero"? and in germany, the "Postbote"? or in azerbaijan, "почтальон"? so it makes sense that the one-worder-tradition has taken off in a country (and sport) with so many fans of many backgrounds.

joga bonita