Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I think I have found another use for my time

Tonight, I finished The Sopranos. For the last seven weeks, I have been watching them straight through. Aside from a two-week roadtrip, Tony Soprano has consumed my life, more figuratively than literally but I have lost some weight.



So now that I have finished the Sopranos, I need to find a new way to occupy my time. I came up with a few ideas for this (e.g. learn to play jai lai, develop a discerning palate, overcome my fear of fire), but when I started weighing the positives and negatives of each option, I couldn't quite find ways to fill my time with any of the activities or provide for myself with any of them. So I decided to join the Peace Corps.

On Tuesday morning, I leave for 27 months to Ecuador. The first three months will be spent in training. If I pass, I become a full-fledged volunteer and serve for two years.

I'm not quite sure what my job will entail, but I will be working in a natural resource management program, doing some combination of environmental education, conservation, and business advising. I don't know what this means or where I will be placed, but I hope to learn this during training.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

good luck, Ian!! i'll be following along, with jealousy

Anonymous said...

Did you learn from Tony?
be safe Yoni

love,
your mom