Saturday, March 21, 2009

¡Salude a los ganadores!

Thursday night, 8:26 p.m. I’m sitting at the dinner table with my madre and hermana. We’re eating pea soup with potatoes and carrots.

My cell phone beeps — a text message.

“And the dance continues. 62-59. Manny had 23.”

Fist pumping ensues, quickly followed by screaming and “The Victors.”

My madre and hermana are frightened. They have no idea what happened. I told them that I just really like the soup. They know I like the food here, but they knew that I don’t like it that much.

On Wednesday, I had explained that my university’s basketball team had reached the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1998, and, that if I were not in a small village outside of Cayambe, I would probably be in Kansas City at the Sprint Center.

My reaction was so quick that they didn’t have time to relate my post-text-message jubilation with the NCAA Tournament. I apologized for scaring them. I compared it to Ecuador reaching the World Cup, and they understood. (Not an accurate comparison, I know, but it gets the point across. A better comparison would have been the local club team reaching the Copa Libertadores after spending a decade recovering from a scandal)

Now, everybody in this house is excited for tonight’s game. I taught my hermana “The Victors” and translated it into Spanish so she understands what I’m talking about. My hermano wasn’t home at the time. I’ll teach him a little later.

Salude a los ganadores, valiente
Salude a los conquistando heroes
Salude, salude a Michigan
Los lideres y los mejores

Salude a los ganadores, valiente
Salude a los conquistando heroes
Salude, salude a Michigan
Los campeones del oeste

I don’t know the rest of the song in English, so translating it to Spanish would have been near-impossible.

Thursday afternoon might have been one of the first times that I actually missed American culture. The four-day weekend (Thursday-Sunday) are probably might favorite four days of the year. Great college basketball all-day long. But I’m managing. I couldn’t fill out a bracket this year because Michigan was in the tournament. I know I picked against Michigan in Staff Picks, but I’m a fan again. I don’t think they are going to win it all, but I still couldn’t pick them to lose.

5 comments:

DeDe said...

¡Vamos Azul!

love,
your mom,( not your madre)

Anonymous said...

I worked a bit on the translation during my 4 years in MI:

Vamos los victoriosos, valientes
Vamos los heroes conquistadores
Vamos, Vamos Michigan
Los lideres y mejores

Vamos los victoriosos, valientes
Vamos los heroes conquistadores
Vamos, Vamos Michigan
Los campeones del Oeste

Anonymous said...

I had to catch up on 3 blogs...what fun for me....

and I get to read everyones comments...so nice to see Erick piping in...though I thought you did a fine job translating...then what do I know...

I love this relationship you are developing with your family and then I realize you will be leaving them soon...do you think you will visit them while you are there..does that happen?

by the way...nice job on the sidewalk!

Aunt shira

Beth said...

Sorry that your Team is done for the season but glad to know that you can wash those blue and yellow jerseys if called upon.

Unknown said...

why does DeDe sign off with "your mom, (not your madre)"?
does your madre know how to blog post? that would be a tremendous revelation.