Tuesday, June 14, 2011

More than grocery shopping

Sunday morning, I was walking from my apartment to the local market to buy my produce for the week. I had gone for a long run earlier in the morning and hadn't showered or changed my clothes yet. I went to the market in a soccer jersey, running shorts, and sandals. My roommate also went to the market in her running clothes.

On the way to the market, we bumped into a friend.

Friend: Where are you going?
Ian: To the market.
Friend: Dressed like that? You look like you should be exercising, not going to the market.


Apparently, you don't just go to the market in Quito wearing whatever clothes you have on. This is because you aren't just going to the market to buy groceries. You are going to the market to be seen.

And if someone saw you in running shorts and soccer jersey at the market, that will not bode well for your reputation.

Luckily, I'm not that interested in people in town thinking "Man, that guy has really nice clothes. He must also have a lot of money that we want to rob." I'd rather people be thinking "Man, that guy's soccer jersey only cost him $3 and those shorts only cost him $2. I'll just let him do his shopping in peace."

1 comment:

DeDe said...

sorry to say, like mother , like son

although in the US going to Hiller's or Trader Joe's does not require a shower to the best of my knowledge.