Friday, July 15, 2011

The dog ate my home work

I normally spend my Thursday nights baking challah for Friday night dinner.

Some of my coworkers asked me to teach them how to make the challah. So instead of baking bread in my apartment last night, I figured I could use the kitchen at work for the cooking class and take home the final product of the lesson (The Spanish phrase getting many things done with one action would be "de una").

The activity got off to a great start. It was my coworker's first time every making bread, and she was really excited when we were mixing the ingredients.

We left the dough in a pot with a glass top out in the sun for the first rise. The dough must have tripled in size. It was pretty outstanding.

Then we braided the loaves and set them out to rise again. But we decided to let them rise on the counter in the kitchen instead of out in the sun.

When I went back into the kitchen 40 minutes later to turn the oven on, the loaves weren't there.

I looked around the kitchen for evidence. Maybe someone had moved them. They had been having some issues with pests in the kitchen. I checked in all the cabinets and in the oven. Nothing.

On the ground outside the kitchen, I saw some pieces of crumpled up tin foil that might have been used for the bread.

What kind of animal would be able to climb up on the counter and grab the tin foil?

The only animals at the Peace Corps Training Center are a pair of dogs. One of them is so pregnant she can hardly move. The other has at least four bad legs, a bad hip, has a huge head, can't stop slobbering, and can barely walk up steps. He usually needs someone to give him a boost to get up the steps.

I didn't think that either of these dogs could scale the three-foot counter to reach the foil.

I walked around outside and saw the floppy dog taking down the last bit of dough.

At least someone enjoyed my challah this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He ate the whole thing????? oh my!!!