Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Godfather

While I was home in May, one of my good friend's from Arenillas gave birth to a daughter.

Since returning to Quito, I had been trying to make the time to go visit my friend and meet the baby. I finally found the time a couple of weekends ago and returned to my beloved town for a couple of days.

Sarah and I headed to the border town of Huaqillas on Sunday morning to see Rosa and the baby. (Sarah still lives in the area and has already spent some time with the baby. She actually had the honor of being the first person to cut the baby's nails and is looking forward to giving the baby her first hair cut.)

We arrived at Rosa's in-laws' house, where she is currently living, and sat down in the living room to catch up. It had been more than three months since I last saw Rosa, so there was a lot to talk about. I wanted to hear all about the baby, while she wanted to hear about my vacation back home and life in Quito.

I took my turn holding the baby until she started to cry, at which point I delegated holding responsibilities to Sarah, who calmed the baby down in a matter of seconds.



After a few minutes of sitting around, everybody in the house started organizing for some activity. They prepared a bowl, a blanket, and a cup of water. I had no idea what was going on.

Then I realized that they were preparing for a baptism - surprise!!

Sarah had mentioned that Rosa asked if we could be godparents of water Andrea Victoria. But there was absolutely no indication that any kind of ceremony would happen on this visit. Because of some logistical issues, it wasn't even certain that I would have a chance to see Rosa on this visit.

This was an informal baptism, done in the comforts of the living room instead of the church. The godparents of water are seen as more of a role model for the child's moral upbringing, instead of providing for the child when the family needs it. Oftentimes in Ecuador, the godparents are seen as responsible for the child's religious upbringing. But Rosa knows that I'm Jewish, so I foresee no added responsibility.

Representing good values is something I could try to do.

Here is a video that someone from Rosa's in-laws' family took. Below you will find a play-by-play to explain what is happening in the video.



This ceremony does not require a priest to be present. You really just need someone who has done the ceremony before, so they called over some neighbors who have several children (and, therefore, some experience).

The ceremony began by reciting Ave Maria (Hail Mary) and Padre Nuestro (Our Father). Apparently you are not supposed to say "Amen" after reciting this blessing. And if someone does say "Amen," you have to repeat the blessing again. This explains why the blessing is repeated a few times.

Afterwards, the one of the godparents pours the water on the baby's head while the other crosses the baby in the name of the Holy Trinity. The crossing was Sarah's department. I was in charge of water pouring (notice how the baby didn't cry). Then the godparents blow out the candle.

Once everything is complete, the godparents take pictures with the baby and everyone present. The original video clip went on for three more minutes, but the last three minutes were just pictures. So I figured I could include some of the still shots instead.

Just a side note: I must be the only person in history to perform the function of godfather while wearing a "Callahan Auto Parts" t-shirt. It's not that I thought it was an appropriate t-shirt for the occasion. I was completely unaware that the ceremony was going to take place. If I had known, I would have at least worn something with a collar.

Because the Andrea was born prematurely and had some health issues, her parents took their time in giving her a name. So in the meantime, Sarah and some other people in town gave her the nickname Ugita. Rosa works for the UGA (Unidad de Gestion Ambiental), so she was the little member/mascot of the UGA.



Godparents, real parents, and Andrea



Godparents and Andrea

3 comments:

DeDe said...

Does this make me a grand-godmother or just the mom of the godfather?


Either way the baby is adorable and luck is on her side with chosen godparents.

Anonymous said...

so cute,,,I loved it! I had never seen Sarah before...she's pretty cute too!

Avery said...

Holy shnikes it worked