Tuesday, April 17, 2012

These songs have defined my time in Ecuador (40-21)

The countdown continues today as we pass the midpoint of the songs that have defined my time in Ecuador. I know that there were some pretty extreme commentaries on the first installment, but I stand by where I put Gerardo Moran.

Now, let's get things going.

40. Chica virtual - Don Omar y Arcangel



The song doesn't actually start until 1:11 of the video. But the anticipation is outstanding. You can't help but shake your body when you hear the first notes.

39. El dengue - El loko



This mix has so much going for it.
The name
The DJ's name
The only words in the song are "Drop it like it's hot, baby."

This is enough to put it at 39 on the list.

38. Stand by me - Prince Royce



There are about 15 seconds of silence before the video starts. Don't worry. You'll start snapping right away.

We should create a computer program that can automatically transform Motown sounds into bachata. I can't wait for My Girl's bachata version. It would an automatic top-10 hit.

My roommate pointed out that we are some of the only people in Ecuador who can sing these entire half-English, half-Spanish (miti-miti) compilations.

37. Si no le contesto - Plan B



This is one of those songs that when you first get here, you hate it. But as the months pass by, you notice your tapping your feet at first. Then the next month the head starts bobbing. Before you know, you're dancing with the other Ecuadorians on the bus and singing along.

36. Ai se eu te pegou - Michel Telo



If you were in Omnibus 101 and didn't extend your service, this song alone will make you regret that decision.

You might be wondering why this Portuguese song showed up on this list. But after hearing the thirty seconds, you can imagine how it caught fire like a gasoline-laden pile of garbage.

35. Celos - Fanny Lu



Whereas "Es un secreto" drives you nuts and then you start to like, this one just drives you nuts.

34. Amor de contrabando - Jenny Rivera



When I told my roommates that this song is in the 30s, they were blown away that it wasn't in the top 20. Keep in mind that my roommates had 40 songs in their top 20.

As soon as you hear the first notes in this song, the hips just rise and start moving.

33. El doctorado - Tony Dize



Like many other reggaeton songs, this one gets off to a slow start. But before you know it, your mind is on a yacht dreaming of bikini-clad women.

32. Estos celos - Vicente Fernandez



I couldn't tell you where this song is played. I guess it's one of your more up-beat dancing songs. A little more uplifting than Julio Jaramillo. I can't tell you how many times I've yodeling "Ayyyyy, ayyyy amor."

31. Es tan dificil - Zacarias Ferreira



Wait until you hit the chorus at 1:05, and tell me that this tune isn't already stuck in your head.

30. Baila moreno - Zuccero



The intro sounds like it is out of the late 70s, but then the rock hits and you are belting the lyrics by the chorus. You know you are going to scream "What you say?" My roommate clarifies that at least every gringo is going to scream it.

One of my friends plays an outstanding acoustic version of this song. I'll try to record him next time his brings his ax to my apartment.

29. De rodillas de pido - Luis Miguel de Amargue



This song is vintage bachata. Bachate is a musical genre that is really popular in the jungle. When a coastal PC staff member heard volunteers singing along to these songs, he said "on the coast, only prostitutes and brothel-goers" listen to this music. I've never been to a brothel, but I did live on the coast, so I can't confirm that report.

28. Llamado de emergencia - Daddy Yankee



The music doesn't really get going until 43 seconds, but by 50 seconds you are already grinding up against the closest available woman or wall.

27. Waka waka - Shakira



For one month in 2010, you could be awake without hearing this song. It permeated every aspect of life. I think I remember hearing my neighbors playing while I was in the shower. Maybe I was just singing it, though.

26. Me estas tentando - Wisin y Yandel



This song doesn't stand out from the other reggaeton songs, but it belongs this high up in the list for how often it is played.

25. Juramentos - Kaliente



It was Dec. 25, 2011. I went down to the jungle to visit my roommate's old site, and his community had a baile next door to his host family's house. I called it an early night because we had a full day of digging holes, chipping teeth, and making muchines ahead of us. I was awaken at around 3 a.m. but this song. As much as I wanted to go back to sleep, I like this song so much I didn't even feel bad that it was keeping me up.

I actually kind of starting dancing in the bed.

24. Lamento boliviano - Enanitos Verdes



These guys are the definition of rockers. Check out their biography on wikipedia.

23. Loca - Shakira



This song speaks for itself - and the video even moreso.

22. Changueria - J King y Maximan



When you hear this song the first time, you wouldn't even think it's a song. Rather, you'd think it's just a couple of Latin youth screaming the same word over and over. Then you find yourself singing along. Then you find yourself singing this song to yourself as you walk down the street.

21. Guardaespaldas - Lucho Panic



The thing about this song is its versatility. It can be a great drinking song if you want or a great dancing song.

Stay tuned for tomorrow when we reveal 20-1.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ian -

I love these last two posts - some of the songs so far would have made my top 20 :) I fully expect to see "Makano - Te Amo" make the top ten!!

Sarah Eldredge