Sunday, September 02, 2012

Off to coffee country



After two weeks with my family in Brumadinho, I was ready to move on.

I loved them and the time I spent with them. I had learned so much from them, but I was ready for my next adventure.

I had kept in touch with the organization that organize the agrobiodiversity workshop that Avery and I went to.  They also work in alternative agriculture technologies with small-scale farmers in the eastern, coffee-growing zone of Minas Gerais state.

I got their phone number on Thursday, called them, and told them that I would be there on Monday.  They said that was cool - at least that's what I think they said. My phone Portuguese is improving, but it's not quite as good as my in-person Portuguese, which still needs improvement.

I had an address, a phone number, and no clue what I would be doing.  With those things and my backpack, I hopped on a bus an early morning bus from Belo Horizonte.

The town where the NGO is based is called Simonesia. You won't find it in any guidebooks. It's seven hours from BH, heading town the Atlantic Coast, in an area with coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee, and one of the most endangered ecosystems in Brazil - the Mata Atlantica.

I figured that if this place didn't work out, I would just take the bus back to BH and find something else to do. Luckily, this place worked out.

The NGO I worked with in Simonesia is REDE. They have worked for over a decade in the area on projects promoting agroecology. If you feel your Portuguese is good, you can read about their projects here. Otherwise, you're going to have to stay tuned to the upcoming posts on this blog.

When I arrived in Simonesia, I told the staff that I wanted to help in any way that I could. I told them that I liked working in the field but would also be more than happy helping them in the office.

They contacted some of the famers and groups in the area and organized for me to spend a few days with each, learning about and assisting in the projects. I could not be any more thankful for the help they provided.

Over the next couple weeks, I will be posting about my adventures in coffee country.

No comments: