Saturday, February 20, 2010

Can you please pass the cavity?

So I had shabbat dinner at my house last night.

It was outstanding - challah, mac and cheese, mashed sweet potatoes, steamed veggies, guacamole, aji (hot pepper sauce), and a mango-pineapple crisp.

It was probably one of the best meals I have cooked in my life (luckily, I made way too much food and will be able to enjoy that meal with several meals over the next couple of days).

With all of this delicious food, my guests needed a beverage to wash it down with. So they all chipped in and bought a big bottle of Coke.

Everybody poured their cup and started drinking except for one of my guests. This is where we pick up the action.

Guest: Do you have any sugar?
Ian: Yeah. Why?
Guest: I want to put some in my Coke.

After hearing this, I had no idea what to say. Stunned would be the proper way to describe my reaction as I got the sugar from my kitchen.

Keep in mind that Coke down here is made with real sugar.

I brought the sugar back, still completely baffled. Actually, it's a day later and I'm still trying to get over it.

She sweetened her Coke and continued with her meal.

Once I regained enough composure to inquire, I asked why she would put more sugar into her Coke. She explained that she did it to reduce the fizz. I did some Googling and learned that is a strategy some people use.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

and do they ask for aspartane for Diet Coke ?

Unknown said...

other people shake up their coke, let it explode & wait for the fizz to dye off to drink it in order to get rid of the carbonation...

Beth said...

This might also work well for someone looking to cut down fizz and bump up calories in their light Cervesa.

cheri said...

I just love reading about your life! I hope I get to meet you sometime soon.
Cheri(Ian's mom)