Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Is this Pamplona?

Earlier this afternoon, I was walking through town with about thirty kids from the newspaper daycamp we have going on.

The camp had just ended for the day and I'm walking toward the center of town. There are about ten kids ahead of me, ten next to me, and the rest behind. We are about five minutes from the central park when I heard some shrieking from the group ahead of me.

I look up to see the kids scattering in all directions.

Then, I look a little further up the road and see a bull charging our way. He's probably about a block from the first group of kids and a block and a half away from my group - and getting closer.

At this point, the kids are climbing trees, trucks, and walls to get out of the way. Before heading for shelter, I survey the situation a little to make sure that my kids are all right (What I would do if they weren't, I have no idea. There's a raging bull on the street. Handling this type of situation wasn't in the training manual. But as the supervisor, I felt like surveying the scene was the right thing to do.) I saw that no one had been gored and all the kids had scampered off to safety.

At this point, I kind of stared the bull down for a second to get a better sense of the situation (also, when else will I be able to stare down a raging bull). At this point, I had my escape route planned out: scurrying behind the truck parked on the side of the road. If the bull chose to follow me there, I would then defecate in my pants. Fool proof, I believe

In the second that I looked up the street to see what was happening, I noticed that a soldier from the nearby base had put a lasso around the bull's neck and was trying to pull him in. But instead, the bull was doing the majority of the pulling in this battle - dragging the soldier down the road. Then a police car arrived and began honking its horn at the commotion.

I then got behind the truck and saw that a bunch of my kids had the same idea (Good, this bull can't gore all of us, can he?).

I stood at the back of the truck with a view of the road to check if/when the bull would pass. A few seconds later, the bull came running down the street, dragging the soldier with him.

Once it was a safe distance past us, I checked to make sure everyone was all right. They were.

Then, we continued on our way.

I have learned to expect the unexpected throughout my Peace Corps experience, but an angry bull running through town - I don't think anyone could've predicted that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you left me wide open here

I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it.

Tommy Calllahan

DeDe said...

I am so looking forward to my visit to Arenaillas now that I know that they have bulls running down the street.


love,
your mom

Ian said...

Actually, the working title for this blog post was "I can get a good look at a t-bone..."

M. Clive said...

Hi! I´m Matt from Omni 99 I live in Puyo and helped make the PC website. I´ve noticed that you update your blog frequently - I was wondering if you would be interesting in writing a summary about your work for the website, and if you could put a link to it too - http://www.projectsforpeaceecuador.org.
mattbare03@gmail.com