Sunday, March 14, 2010

Letting go (in stages)

This afternoon, I bid farewell to a dear friend.

We had known each other for about four months and really enjoyed one another's company. I always played host and regularly fed it. It was the longest relationship of this kind that I have ever had. But as with any relationship, there comes a time when one has to move on.

With a heavy heart, I did so. But I know that there is always a chance that it will come back.

I shaved my beard this afternoon.

It was difficult. It was the longest I had ever let me beard grow out. It was a great experience, but it was time.

Now, call me crazy, but after investing five months into growing this glory, I wasn't about to just chop it off without ceremony. That would be not give my furry friend the respect that he deserved.

So I scoured the Internets, searching for creative beard trimming designs and strategies that would allow me to shave it into several patterns before ultimately saying goodbye. I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for (Internet, you disappointed me. Or maybe I was just wasn't searching correctly?).

But I did find some outstanding suggestions along the way. I believe the photos can speak for themselves from here on out.

Joaquin Phoenix





A young, patchy Castro





General, Governor, Senator, and Legend Ambrose Burnsides





Martin Van Buren





(Don't worry. I took another flashing the Van Buren Boys' secret sign)

Simon Bolivar






Now, I know what you're thinking.

Is this how a Peace Corps volunteer spends his weekend? Shouldn't he be, you know, helping out?


Actually, this trimming took less time than it normally takes me to shave my beard. A combination of a new razor and some help from a friend. Maybe I should do this every time?


I wasn't the only one sad to see the beard go. My mirror broke midway through the process. Either, it was so appalled at my Ambrose Burnsides attempt or it was opposed to any facial-hair cutting. I can't decide.




In the beginning of this post, I said that I regularly fed me facial hair. Food often got caught up in that jungle, typically mango (but not exclusively).

9 comments:

Rubes said...

Those may be the best Burnsides(™ ?) I have ever seen.

Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant, well maybe not brilliant but very entertaining


Who is your look-a-like now?

Ariella said...

Great photos! Keep up the good looks.

judy kepes said...

hysterical reading should i be sitting shiva for that beautiful friend?

Anonymous said...

you are too funny Yoni!

Aunt Shira

Unknown said...

Well, that is one of the most creative things I've seen..too funny! Maybe, when you get home, a job at Colombos barber shop will await yo...anyways, great blog! take care

Bruce and Karen

Unknown said...

this post is parring on brilliance.

Kacz said...

Agree!

AubreyKepes said...

Wow. Some serious facial hair versatility!!!!