Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Remembering Harwell

Last week, I began a blog post with a quote from the Bible to describe the change in season.

"For, lo, the winter has passed..."

As much as I enjoy quoting the Tanakh, by quoting that phrase, I was quoting legendary Tigers announcer Ernie Harwell, whose soothing, Georgia accent meant the beginning of spring (and more importantly baseball season).

Ernie died yesterday at the age of 92.

Some will remember his catchphrases (the above phrase that he used during the first broadcast each spring, "Like a house by the side of the road", "that ball is long gone", "two for the price of one", etc), but it was Ernie the person who left an indelible mark on Detroit, the State of Michigan, and baseball fans.

For anybody who grew up listening to Tigers broadcasts, Ernie was the voice of summer. There is no logical reason why, growing up in Detroit in the 1990s, baseball would be someone's favorite sport. But Ernie's presence in the booth made listening to games so pleasant and enjoyable no matter how pathetic the Tigers were.

And just by listening to Ernie's broadcasts for the first 14 years of my life and never actually meeting the man was enough for him to be one of the people I most admired. His personality came across through the radio waves, through how he told stories, and narrated the game. He never made himself part of the game. He maintained a professionalism and a humility that was admirable. In an era where broadcasters and journalists increasingly made themselves part of the story, Ernie stayed out of it. He came across as a complete mensch.

When I was 14, I attended an event at the Jewish Community Center that was featuring Ernie. I think it had something to do with a new book he had just written. I realized that I had left my copy of the book at home and didn't have anything for him sign. And like any baseball-obsessed kid, autographs meant everything to me. I felt around in my pocket and realized that I had my baseball yarmulke. I asked Ernie to sign my yarmuulke, and he told me that he had never signed one before but that he would gladly sign it.

Like any other pieces of memorabilia, I should have stored it in a safe place. But with my Ernie Harwell-signed kippah, I was so happy that I wore it around my high school until I could find a replacement baseball kippah.

It was my first personal interaction with Ernie (although listening to him on the radio felt like he was talking directly to you, he was actually speaking to millions of people), and he came across just as he did on the radio - completely down to earth.

A couple of years later, I was interviewed by the Detroit Free Press, and I mentioned that Ernie was one of the people that I most admired. The night that the piece appeared in the paper, the phone at my house rang. It was Ernie. He called me to thank me for the nice things I had said about him in the newspaper. Ernie Harwell, the voice of the Tigers, called my house to thank me for something I said about him in the paper.

The amazing thing is that I know this was just the kind of person Ernie was.

After high school, I worked as an usher at Comerica Park and would often see Ernie around the ballpark. He was always friendly, and when we spoke, he said he remembered signing the kippah and calling me about the article. When some of his friends came to a game and were sitting in my section, he would talk to me for a few seconds before heading back up to the booth. Seeing him around the stadium, he treated everybody else with this same level of respect.

He was a different kind of person.

Judging by the public's reaction to his retirement, his illness, and his death, it is clear that people admired him for much more than simply being the voice of the Tigers.

What made him so memorable isn't what he did in the radio booth and in his life. It is how he did it - with a level of respect, humility, and outreach - that sets him apart.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Perfectly said for a perfectly wonderful man.
Mike Golob (yes, I met Ernie and he was that nice and humble.)

DeDe said...

A perfect tribute for Ernie. although he might think too much flattery .

Beautifully written Yoni and spoken from the heart .
Yasher Koach

kippah guy's mom

Anonymous said...

Ian, that was such a beautiful tribute to Ernie. He would have like that blog too. Sra

Anonymous said...

Ian, you should send it to his family and the paper. You said it well.

Hope you're doing well,
the other kitah bet teacher

Anonymous said...

Ian is my nephew, and how proud we are all of him. I was inspired to share MY Ernie story (keep in mind I am age 64)...it is spring training in 1970, and I am visiting a friend in Tampa during semester break of my final year at Michigan Law School. Tampa was winter home to the Reds. Tigers are in town. In those days, the broadcasters didnt even have a booth, they just sat there in a row high behind home plate. So I climb to the top and identify myself as a Tiger fan from Detroit. Ernie says "well come over and spend some time with us" and I do and he was so warm and friendly and then says my name on the air and sends my regards to all the folks back home. 40 years ago but I shall always treasure that afternoon with Ernie and Ray Lane. Richard Kepes a/k/a "Uncle Reech"

Anonymous said...

I don't think I can say it any better...it is beautiful and I'm sure there is a place to post this on some other website...maybe the Det Free Press or even the Tiger website...maybe there is a blog going aabout Ernie.....more people should read this....you have a gift for writing and speaking from the heart.
You were the first person I thought of when I heard the news.Love and hugs,
Aunt Shira

karen said...

Ian, That was a beautiful tribute for the voice of the Tigers. You did a great job...Love, KBK

Anonymous said...

I just had dinner with your parents and we were talking about Ernie Harwell. Your mother showed me your blog when we got back to the house. What a lovely story. You are so fortunate to have these memories.
I'm planning to follow your blog in the future. Thanks for sharing your take on the world.

Beth's sister Louise

Anonymous said...

Ian,

Thanks for sharing your feelings and experiences with us in such a special way.

Jeff Garden