Sunday, May 09, 2010

Shabbat dinner: 5-7-10

This week's shabbat dinner was an intimate affair - just five people.

We had planned on having a large group for dinner but for a variety of reasons (tropical disease-related and otherwise), most couldn't come (which is sad).

But on the bright side, that means there are more delicious leftovers for me.

It was a beautiful, delicious meal. I had some camera issues last night, so I don't have visual proof to share with you. Problem has been resolved, and future meals will be documented in word and image.

Menu

Challah
Hummus
Greek green bean/tomato caserole
Mac and cheese
Banana, noodle kugel
Apple/blackberry crisp

(I previously mentioned two metrics to determine the success of Friday night meals. The first is the percentage of guests in a food coma-like state. The second is how long the table remains silent after the food is initially served.)

Food coma?
Yes. There was a consensus food coma. It was a struggle to get up and wash dishes. I then quickly fell asleep in my hammock.

Silence?

10-15 minutes.

Both very strong indicators of a successful shabbat dinner.

Overheard
After eating three full helpings of goodness, I ran into the proverbial wall. I asked my friend how one would say that in Spanish.

Apparently, it is "entrada de caballo, salida de burro." This literally translates to "entering like a horse, leaving like a donkey."

No comments: