Sunday, December 05, 2010

When gracias just won't cut it

Gracias is the standard Spanish phrase to express gratitude. For something a little stronger, you can say muchas gracias.

Sometimes that might not be enough. Or you use it so often that it loses meaning. Plus, muchas gracias can carry a sexual message (you don't really want that in your exchange with the vendors at the market.

Luckily Ecuador has a stronger phrase if you really want to thank someone, you can say Dios le pague.

It literally means "May God repay you."

You are so thankful for what the other person has done that you believe that person deserves some form of extra reward.

I wouldn't consider myself an expert on proper DLP usage yet. That would require several years of rice and chicken for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. DLP is normally said when someone goes above and beyond what they are expected of doing. Also, hearing DLP makes me feel better than muchas gracias. So just saying it might make someone's day.

The good thing about this phrase is that using the phrase in the wrong situation can make for great humor. I personally enjoy dropping DLP after buying goods at the market because of the irony (I just paid them for the goods, and I'm hoping they get rewarded for their tremendous customer service.)

One of my favorite aspects of DLP is the types of "you're welcome" replies that it can bring. My personal favorite response to DLP is ojala, which means I sure hope so in this context.

If you receive a text message from me that says DLP, that's just my shorthand way of expressing immense gratitude.

(I wish I had posted this last Thursday.)

No comments: