Thursday, August 02, 2012

Love at first song


I had really enjoyed my first few days in Assentamento Pastorinha.

I was really getting along well with my host family. The work and sleep schedule were very agreeable. The food was delicious.

But it wasn't until the subject of music came up that I knew that I would love this place. It happened on my third day.

I was playing soccer with the kids when one of them came up to me and asked if I liked "Danza Kuduro."

If you have spoken to me at all in the last two years and the subject of music has come up, you know what I think of Don Omar's classic (I know it has only been out a couple of years, but I think it can already be called a classic).


It seems that Danza Kuduro fever has permeated all of Brazilian culture.

My first Kuduro experience in Brazil was my first night in Brazil. We were on our boat from Tabatinga to Manaus.

I was trying to go to sleep on my hammock when I the chorus to "Danza Kuduro" playing in the background. I didn't think anything of it because the chorus is always playing in my head. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep again. Fifteen minutes later, those same 15 seconds of the song came on again.

It turns out that, for once, I wasn't the only one with those catchy beats stuck in my head. It is the theme song to the most popular soap opera in Brazil.

The next night, the same thing happened. I was trying to go to sleep, only to be caught in the chorus of my favorite song.

My host family on the farm is also following the soap opera. So every night at 9:00 p.m., they — and the entire country —  tune in to learn the latest developments in Avenida Brasil.

I stay up late enough to hear the theme song, and then I go to sleep.

There are too many characters and too many plots twists for me to know what's going on. Plus it comes on so late at night that I'm already Portuguese'd out at that time.

It doesn't matter. It's already my favorite soap opera - and will continue to be as long as it keeps the same theme song.

As long as the Kuduro experiences continue, I'm sure I'll continue to enjoy my time in Brazil.

(I will let you know of any Kuduro moments I have in future.)

1 comment:

Sisa said...

Hahahahahaha I think I've never seen you with a bigger smile than when you listened to that song! Don't forget to update me with your new brazil 2012 playlist!! dddj yoniiiiiiiiiii