Tuesday, June 16, 2009

How to motivate Ecuadorians

So yesterday, after the pregnancy test incident, I was working in my garden. I had to do some general maintenance and transplant some saplings. I was prepared to do this work by myself when one of the neighborhood kids kicked his soccer ball into the nursery.

He came in to pick it up and asked if I wanted to play. I told him that I had to work, but he could help me if he wanted to.

He ran home to ask permission and returned within two minutes and asked, ¨How much will you pay?¨

From this story, we learn a valuable lesson.

Ecuadorians are motivated by immediate monetary gain. From an early age, they are taught about this. They don´t really like to think much about the long-term effects of their actions but if they can make some quick money, they are all over it.

I told my amigo that I couldn´t pay him in money but that I could give him some plants for his house. He thought I spoke funny Spanish, which was enough for him to give me half an hour.

And he´ll be able to enjoy some basil and eggplant in a couple of months.

2 comments:

DeDe said...

the system works Yoni, you are teaching life lessons, the family will have food, your amigo had fun and was rewarded at the same time.
Keep up the good work.

love,
ma and pa kettle

Anonymous said...

I'll give you a pickle for a nickle

how 'bout two cents?

otay.

-Spanky McFarlan on Skeleton Lake