Saturday, November 07, 2009

Tis the season

October 30th, I was walking down the street when I looked in the window of one of the homes.

They were putting up the Christmas tree.

I looked at my calendar to make sure I wasn´t a month behind.

I wasn´t.

That was an actual Christmas tree (well, a plastic one), with Christmas ornaments adorning a house in my neighborhood.

A couple of days later, another neighbor had their lights going.

I´m excited to see how the holiday season goes in Ecuador, but I wasn´t quite ready for the holiday season in October 30. I mean, you still have Halloween, Dia de Los Muertos, and the town´s fiestas before you even sniff the middle of November.

All of those would seem like logical moments from which you could then move forward into the holiday season. But then again, every day I learn more and more about the culture in which I´m living.

1 comment:

DeDe said...

BTW Yoni, in America where you used to live, Christmas is in full swing by Halloween. Shopping centers have decorations up and stores are ready to have people buy whatever they need ( or don''t need) "for the season'. I haven't seen any home decoratiions or trees up yet, but I will keep you posted on this.

For those celebrating Chanukah, better get a move on, first candle this year is December 11.