Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Fruit Ripener

If you go to the market and the fruit isn't quite as ripe as you would hope for, I learned an easy way to speed up the process

Now, it could be that everybody already knows this but I don't really spend much time allowing fruit ripen. I'm of the "Oh, there's fruit and I want to eat it right now" school.

Anyway, I went to the store down the street and asked about what fruit they have in stock. The woman told me that her husband brought some mangos from the farm, but they're not quite ready.

I said that's fine. I can let them sit out to mature or just eat them green
Curious person: You can eat mangos green?
Ian: They're not as good as a well-matured mango but the kids love them. In fact, there are little mango carts that wait outside the high school toward the end of school day. My issue with the cart mango is that they put salt and lime on it, and I think that ruins that glory of the mango flavor.
Then the woman told me that ripening would take several days, which I knew but was willing to be a patient. She told me I could wrap the fruit in newspaper and it would be ready soon.

Then I asked how tightly the fruit needed to be wrapped. She said it depended on how soon you want the fruit to ripen. If you aren't in a rush wrap loosely. If you want the fruit for tomorrow, you're going to want to make sure that thing is nice and tight.

Apparently, this will also work for banana products.

Perhaps you and the whole world already know about this ripening trip and that I have always been privileged to procure with perfect produce. (How about that alliteration)

To update you on the situation:

One day into the ripening process, the fruits are not quite ready to eat. There may end up being some truth to this process, just not overnight results like I wanted.

5 comments:

Jordan said...

With the demise of print media, a brown paper bag will work as well.

Rubes said...

Of course Old Ian would never have thought about fruits ripening given the amount of the time it took him to select produce at a grocery store in America.

New Ian ... he devours whole kiwis in a single bite (or two).

Ariella said...

Many fruits and veggies will ripen in a brown bag as well!!!
I'm a fan of cukes in a bag in the fridge they last longer :)

Hannah said...

My friend's dad's patient leads the fabulous life of banana ripener. Two years ago there was also a job opening: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/31/trainee_banana_ripener/
When opportunity comes a knocking...

Unknown said...

i've heard, put it in a brown paper bag on top of the refrigerator, specifically in the context of a pineapple, but i don't think it's exclusive