Sunday, January 17, 2010

It`s kind of like the Wells Fargo Wagon

(If you haven`t voted yet, please help me choose the next book I read by participating in the poll on the right column)



So the MagicSex truck came into the market this morning.

The MagicSex truck is an herbal supplement megastore on wheels that passes through my town every few months. And when it swings by, you would think they are giving it away.

Now, from my experience, Ecuadorians are very susceptible to purchasing from the guy selling nutritional supplements. You see this on the bus, on the street, door-to-door, wherever. Heck, some dude came into our office one day trying to get us to buy some supplement.

But the MagicSex mobile is a different breed. Maybe it's the green and yellow paint job, maybe it's the insane collection of herbal remedies in the trunk, maybe it's the two-megaphone sound system. [Aside: I will attach a megaphone to my car when I get back to the U.S.] Anyway, whatever it is, it is ridiculous. Plus, MagicSex doesn`t just sell MagicSex products.

They carry a full line of supplements that will improve, prevent, or cure any condition imaginable. I contend they probably make up conditions just to scare their potential customers into becoming their customers.

Lesson learned: If you want to get people to come to your program, give them ridiculous names, as well. Then people might go by accident, expecting something completely different, and realize that whatever they accidentally attended is worth their time. Either way, they'd probably still be disappointed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ian,
It sounds like the power of marketing is strong in Ecuador also. Sorry my class has dropped the ball on corresponding with you. I hope to hear from you. Steven in Vermont