Thursday, May 21, 2009

Check out my new ride



I´m not sure what make or model it is. The ¨Monark¨ decal on the frame is a sticker, and when the salesman at the bike shop wrote up my receipt, it says it´s from 1996. But the frame looks like it has been repeatedly painted over, so I think that was a best guess, rather than actual information.

It has 15-speeds, and the rear break is on the left side of the handle bar. I guess things are in reverse on the other side of the equator.

The frame is 28cm. That´s the biggest bike I could find in town, and the seat is as high as it will go. It´s still a bit short.

The bike cost me $35, and the helmet $20. I don´t know if I have spent that much money in my three weeks at site. But I probably have, if you include my $35 fan.

5 comments:

DeDe said...

Is a lock in the budget, or would that be insulting?

love,
your mom

Ariella said...

Nice Ride:) Is that the local mode of transportation? Or do people go mostly by foot?

Emily said...

Hi Ian...so my husband and I will be heading to Ecuador next month as Youth & Family volunteers and I have been reading some of the current volunteer blogs and came across yours. As I read through some of your blog posts, I thought I should ask- were you a Peer Advisor for MCSP? If so, I worked with MCSP when I was a grad student...so I just might know you! If you are the Ian that I am thinking of, let me know if you would like a bright yellow MCSP shirt. I got two from Wendy & David and can always pack the extra with me if I have room. =) Perhaps I will see you in Ecuador!

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth said...

Peel away the Monarch sticker 13 years of paint and you might just find that your bike was once a brand new Santa Cruz Mountain bike - Equadorian version. Lucky for you, no one else knows this - otherwise it would be stolen in a minute. Enjoy!