Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I am legend

Last night’s hide and go seek game might have been the greatest moment of my life.

That’s something a seven year old might say.

I’m twenty-two.

I’ll set the scene.

Ian and thirteen eleven year olds are playing hide and go seek at the park down the street. I look for a hiding spot. It’s tough because the park is pretty exposed and I´m not that small, but I find a good place on the curb between the road and the sidewalk. The curb is high enough that I can be pretty well disclosed.

So I take my spot there. And obviously, six other kids follow me (The logic when an American is playing with Ecuadorian kids is that they will follow you and do exactly what you are doing.).

So there are six kids lying on the street with me. Some kids have trouble keeping quiet as the seeker begins his search. Other kids are fascinated by my leg hair and start pulling at it (Leg hair doesn’t exist in this country).

As time passes the seeker spots all the kids lying in the street around me, but because I am up against the wall, he doesn’t catch me. A few more minutes pass, and the tension builds.

The seeker is baffled. He has no idea where I could be. Everyone else is found. The dramatic irony is intense. The seeker becomes frustrated.

Then the crowd gets into it. The start cheering me on “Yoni, Yoni, Yoni..” as the futile search continues.

All the while, I am sitting in the gutter, for all intents and purposes (although it doesn’t really drain, so I’d rather just call it the street), relishing the cheers and the suspense. The cheers become more intense.

By now at least seven minutes have passed. The noise is deafening, and I decide to reveal myself.

I revel in the glory and secure my legendary status.

Now you understand why that game of hide and good seek was so awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you make yourself invisible and btw, is there a Case 580K at your work?

Papa Smirf

Ariella said...

I would have been one of the laughing children...I'm not good at keeping quiet. Sounds like a day I would have with my little children.

Yaya