Sunday, August 09, 2009

Liberator

Now I know what Simon Bolivar felt like.

Bolivar is known as the Liberator in South America for leading the fight for independence throughout much of the continent.

I’m no expert on history, but I can only imagine him galloping triumphantly through the colonial towns of this continent, proclaiming them free from Spanish rule.

I felt a little bit like Bolivar last week.

You see, the soldier who live in the tree nursery do not normally have access to toilet paper. The general rule in there is for them to grab a leaf and take care of business.

Then, I read about a great seed-starting idea about how you can cut toilet paper rolls in half, start plants in the rolls, and then plant the rolls directly in the soil (the cardboard will biodegrade). So I upon sharing this idea with my coworker, we promptly went to the store and bought the soldiers eight rolls of toilet paper.

I triumphantly marched into the tree nursery with the toilet paper rolls hoisted over my head, proclaiming the end of wiping.

Freedom feels so good — and doesn’t carry the risk of rash if you use the wrong kind of leaf.

No comments: