Monday, August 31, 2009

Not much of a cat person

Friday night, I went to sleep — peace and calm reigned supreme in my house. There was no noise, nothing to disturb my slumber. And it went this way until about 4:30, when I heard some purring. Well, I tried to ignore it, and instead of getting up and finding out where it was coming from, I decided to toss and turn for the next two and half hours until I got out of bed and made breakfast. I did some figuring and thought that it was my neighbor’s cat who might have gotten locked out or something like that.

Then I started making eggs for breakfast. I went for the peanut butter— the special ingredient in my peanut butter, banana, and chocolate chip omellete, I noticed a tiny little feline on the ground in front of my shelves. This is not normal, I thought.

So after doing a double take and realizing that this wasn’t some half-awake delusion, I thought about my options. Well, if it found its way into my closed kitchen during the middle of the night, there had to be a way for it to get out.

I don’t really like the cats too much. So keeping it was out of the question (And unlike, say, a goat, cat manure isn’t that great for compost). So I put it out on the street (I don’t think we have a humane society down here, and she wasn’t wearing a



Even though there was no chance I kept it, I obviously started thinking of names I would my pet cat. Pet names here are generally unimpressive. There are normally either niño, niña, princesa, or a TV character. American pet names are probably not much more interesting, but compared to some of the names I have come across down here (In one family they have two daughters named Karla, except that one spells it with a “C” and the other with a “K”). I think Khatuli would have been a good name for my cat, if I would have kept it and not put it out on the street.

But because I’m not much of a cat person, I’m not very good at coming up with cat names.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how did this gato get into your safe,secure place?

only a pregunta a mother could ask...

una madre in Franklin

Anonymous said...

it was so cute...how could you put it in the street?????

Your Chicago cousins may be asking you the same question???

Aunt Shira