Wednesday, August 26, 2009

¿Que es eso?

It´s a simple question, really.

``What is that?´´

Last night, while waiting for the community meetin to begin, a little girl walked up to me asked me, ``¿Que es eso?´´

I had no idea what she was referring to. So, I asked her.

¿Que?

She points to my hair.

``It´s my hair.´´

She started laughing.

Obviously, her first experience with the Jewfro.

Anyway, her reaction moved from laughter to fear and finally to intrigue. From the giggles to running away from it to touching it to see if it was indeed authentic hair.

I know my hair is getting large. It has been nearly six months since I last visited a barber. He was Russian, spoke limited English, operated out of his unfurnished basement, and gave me the shortest haircut I can remember. I made a promise to some of my Peace Corps colleagues that I wouldn´t cut my hair until we all came back together for a conference.

I have kept to my promise, and I think the only way to describe my hair is bien grande. I have added the caveat that if the people in my community or in my office are offended by my Jewfro that I will cut it. So far, no one has complained.

In fact, as I found out last night, I can use my big hair to expand the cultural awareness.

No comments: