Thursday, April 29, 2010

Google makes me sound like a fool

"For lo the winter has passed. The rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth..."

And the time of sneezing has come?

Well, as the seasons change, and the rainy, unbearably hot winter gives way to comfortable, dry summer, there comes a time when our bodies adjust to the change.

Things will be a bit cooler and a bit less humid. This also means there will be fewer blog posts complaining about the weather.

I'm no medical expert, but it seems that any time there is a season change, my body decides it's a good time for a sinus drainage. I like to think it's my system's way of acclimating to the new conditions.

Well, the issue is that I tried to explain this to some of my friends in town. But they had trouble grasping the idea.

First off, there is really only one type of sickness anybody can suffer from here - gripe (flu). Any time anything is abnormal they decide to pin it in on gripe. Gripe involves sneezing, sniffling, coughing, stomach issues, fever, or any common symptom for that matter. It doesn't matter what combination of symptoms you are showing, you get diagnosed with the same thing - gripe.

The causes of gripe deserve (and will get) their own blog post. Just keep in mind that pretty much any situation can cause gripe.

So when I tried to explain my condition this week - mucus drainage, mild headaches, sneezing attacks, general blah feeling - they told me it was a classic case of gripe.

I said that it wasn't.

I explained that every seasonal change my sinuses drained and that they will bother me for a few days before I'm fully adjusted. The issue is that they don't know what I'm referring to when I explain that my sinuses are bothering me. They have never heard of them before. They prefer to call it "inside forehead."

I don't believe that is an acceptable medical term, so I decided to look it up. Here is what Google told me the Spanish word for sinus is.

Seno.



So I explained this to some of my coworkers. But instead of taking me seriously, they were laughing a little bit. Why?

Well, apparently, seno can mean more than just sinus.



Breast.

No wonder my coworkers were laughing. I told them my breasts were draining because the temperature changed.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Don't worry. It happens to mine too.I just don't go around telling everyone because its a little personal.

Anonymous said...

seno... que comico. Si, es pecho! Sra.