Monday, November 12, 2012

Back at the vegetable stand

After my stint in coffee country, I decided to spend a weekend in Belo Horizonte before continuing onward to Sao Paulo.

The morning after I got back to Belo Horizonte, I went directly to the vegetable stand.

I arrived there at 6:30 a.m., so Marcio greeted me with a "good afternoon" since he had been awake since 1:00 a.m.

It was fun to kibbutz and shmooze with Marcio. I was also able to capture a photo of Marcio and myself at the vegetable stand, which he was very reticent about. I explained that if I didn't have a picture of this people in the U.S. wouldn't believe that I went to Brazil to volunteer at a vegetable stand.

He got a good laugh out of it and agreed to the photo.

When I arrived in Sao Paulo the following week, I went to a street market to buy some fruits. I asked the vendor how much his clementines cost, and he told me that hey were R$7 per dozen, which was twice as much as Marcio charges to his clients. So I explained to the vendor that I was working in a street booth the week before in Belo Horizonte, and there is no way that the price of clementines doubled in a week.

He probably didn't understand a word I was saying because of my accent, but it felt nice to be able to know and explain that his price was ridiculous.

I walked down the street after that and found reasonably priced clementines.

No comments: