Friday, November 09, 2012

Odds and ends


Alan Jackson is really popular in Brazil. He doesn't quite reach the level of his brother, Michael, but he is definitely a sensation. When I was working in the coffee fields, the other guys were talking about how Alan Jackson was going to perform in Sao Paulo and how they wanted to attend.

Brazil has a very strong local country music scene. All the rural kids listen to sertanejo music. It employs liberal use of the accordion and seems like it is always in a hoedown. The "Ai Se Te Pego" song that became a global phenomenon is related to this genre of music.

I consider myself very up to date on the sertanejo scene because I spent a week with twenty twelve-year olds at the rural high school. In addition to playing Michel Telo on repeat, they are big fans of Gustavo Lima and Luan Santana. They made a point of passing me all the sertanejo music they had on to my iTunes.



I was watching the Brazilian national spelling bee when the word "Yiddish" came up.

In Portuguese, there apparently are two acceptable ways to spell Yiddish.

The one that that student used, and was correct, was "iideche." I explained to the person that I was watching with that you could also start spelling the word Yiddish with a "Y."

I don't think he believed me, but I would bet that he will never come across the word "iideche" for the rest of his life unless he enjoys watching spelling bee reruns.



I did the P90X ab routine with some of the kids at the rural school. They were complaining about the burning for the next three days.


Many people have offered to buy me flip-flops. Apparently there is a feeling in Brazil that you can't leave the country without buying a pair of Brazilian flip flops. My host family in Brumadinho bought me flip-flops for my birthday. Several other people have offered to buy them for me, even though I explain that I already have a pair.  What am I going to do with another pair of flip-flops? And I already have Chacos so I don't really need the pair I have. I just like keeping them for their sentimental value. 

No comments: