Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Crossing Paths: Me and Ari Ben Canaan


It took nearly 20 years, but I have finally crossed paths with Ari Ben Canaan (well, sort of). As you may or may not know, Ari Ben Canaan is the character that Paul Newman plays in Exodus.

At one point in the movie, he assists in the Irgun's attack at the King David Hotel, which housed the British military command at the end of the British Mandate.

Two days ago, I had some "official" business to take care of at the King David Hotel, slightly more peaceful than Mr. Ben Canaan's.

Here is the story:
When I left for my trip, I wore a different pair of jeans than I expected to. The other ones had my belt on them. Fortunately, one of my friends was leaving for Israel in a few days and agreed to act as a courier. During its time in Jerusalem, his family stayed at the King David Hotel. Although we did meet up while he was in town, there was no belt exchange. He told me that he would leave the belt at the concierge.

Ian and Adam watching Game 3 of the Pistons-Cavs series

I go to the hotel the next morning and tell the concierge that one of my friends left something for me at the front desk. He asked me if it was a cell phone, I said that it was a belt. Apparently, he was not aware of the belt, but the woman working the other concierge came over and pointed it out to him. Then, she said, while laughing, "I thought it was yours."
I wonder how many people have picked up a belt at the King David Hotel before. Was I making history? I hope so. Well, at least I have evidence of the exchange.

Before you ask, the answer is "no, I didn't walk into the Jim Carrey look-a-like that was staying there."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hopefully Vadim will not see the movie error. I guess Uncle Steve is THE movie guy, well at least for Exodus.

Anonymous said...

secret agent man
our man in Jerusalem Yoni