Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Lag B'omer Recap

Last night was Lag B'omer. However, the preparations have been going on for months. Since I arrived in Jerusalem, there has been wood lying in the middle of sidewalks for people to take for their bonfires. I have even seen people leave old cabinets to be used in fires.
Yesterday afternoon, the everybody in town was making final preparations for their bonfires, especially the children. I have come to the conclusion that little kids trying to carry large wooden objects down the street, together or solo, is among the top-ten cutest and funniest things to watch — along with them trying to build a fire.
Before I went out and celebrated the night with some friends, I decided to tour the Sacher (pronounced with a kuf sound) Park bonfire preparations. Enjoy some of the photos.









As you can tell, some of the kids were preparing for futures as Michigan State students.


Last night, I went to Har Nof, which is on the western edge of the city near the Jerusalem Forest, to celebrate with my friend Rachel (the one that just celebrated her birthday) and her friend Tasha. (Note: I would have gone up to see the Mayhem on Meron (nice alliteration), but I could not find anybody to go with me until about 11 p.m.)
We bonfire-hopped for a couple of hours and saw some pretty large blazes.





I really enjoyed my first Lag B'omer in Israel. That might sound strange, seeing as I am afraid of fire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was a cult member , now ... I am a blog junkie, can't get enough, want it all the time.